If you’re looking to measure the success of your email marketing strategy in 2021, discovering your email open rates is the first step to take.
Once you’ve determined your rate, you need to know how to get more people to open your emails. Today we’re talking all about email open rates and how to increase your clicks this year.
What is Email Open Rate?
Many people look to their email open rate to determine the success of their email marketing strategy. These rates show the percentage of subscribers who open a specific email out of the total number of subscribers who received it. This percentage tells you several things, including:
- Engagement levels over time
- If you’re sending out too many or too few emails
- If the subject line grabbed people’s interest
- How the time you send your emails can make a difference
- If your email marketing campaign is having its desired effect
How to Calculate Your Email Open Rate
Determining your email open rate is easy! The percentage is calculated by dividing the number of unique opens by the number of emails sent.
According to Digital Marketing Blog, the average email open rate is around 15-25 percent, while the average click-through is 2.5 percent. Additionally, the average click-to-open rate hovers between 20-30 percent. Looking at these metrics gives you a good idea of how your emails should be performing.
Tips for Increasing Your Email Open Rates
If your rates aren’t performing at the level they should be, consider the following tips:
- Improve Your Subject Lines – The subject line is the first thing your subscribers see, and they use them to determine whether or not they want to open the email. An effective subject line is one that piques the reader’s interest. Instead of a bland title like, “May Newsletter,” try testing out another approach, such as:
o Posing a question
o Employing a teaser
o Sharing an announcement
o Posing the email in list form
o Offering a command
- Personalize Your Emails – According to Experian, personalized emails are 26 percent more likely to be opened and deliver 6 times higher transaction rates. Here are some ways you can personalize your content:
o Add first names to the subject line
o Geotarget your emails based on weather conditions in certain areas
o Celebrate their anniversary as a subscriber
o Schedule emails to send in the recipient’s time zone
- Clean Up Your Email List – Frequently weed out your old email addresses to make sure your list is squeaky clean and ready to score deliverability points.
- Send the Right Number of Emails – Finding the right balance between underdoing and overdoing it is the key to a high opening rate. How many emails you send will largely depend on your overall email marketing strategy. Testing different frequencies can help you determine what your audience responds to.
- Send Emails at the Right Time – There is no one-size-fits-all formula for the time you should be sending out emails, but testing out various times can help you figure out the sweet spot for your subscribers. Consistency also plays a role in healthy email open rates.
Improving Your Email Marketing Strategy with REVITY Marketing Agency
If you’d like to see a boost in your email open rates this year, REVITY Marketing Agency is here for you. Among our many marketing services, we build successful email campaigns that turn into real dollars for your business. Contact us to get started today!